Monday, July 18, 2011

How Old is Too Old?

I was just reading this blog that talks about a youtube video about a mom that nurses her 8-year-old. I couldn't bring myself to watch it, but you're welcome to.

I like all of the benefits breastfeeding provides for Aidan and for myself. I was joking with my sister a few weeks ago wondering how old is too old to still breastfeed so I can keep eating extra sweets. I'm not sure how far past 12 months I'll go, but Aidan's having a hard time with baby food so I'll just go at his pace for now and see what happens. He maybe eats 1/4 a jar of baby food a day. Maybe.

Did you see that clip from Grown Ups in the preview where the kid walks up and says "I want milk" and the mom whips out her boob? Yeah, that weirded me out a bit.

The WHO recommends nursing until age 2. AAP recommends at least for 12 months. Only about 14% are exclusively breastfed until 6 months in the US (Granted, this is exclusively.)

What do you think? How old is too old? 6 months? 12 months? 18 months? 2 years? when they can talk and ask for it? when they bite? preschool? ...

No comments: