Friday, July 22, 2011

Formula

My son is 11 months old and he had never had formula. Until yesterday. I've been working part-time and doing school full-time since a few weeks after his birth. I always wanted to breastfeed for a number of reasons. My motivation hasn't always been pure, but I'm stubborn and when I set out to do something, I will do it. Even if I'm miserable and unhealthy.

My milk supply has been a bit low lately and instead of putting him through minor starvation, yesterday, I went to the store and bought a can of formula. That little can cost me a whopping $15. Wowza!

But, he drank it just fine. All 2 ounces that he still wanted after I had breastfed him. He was then full and went right down for a nap! It was wonderful!

I'll be honest. It's a huge relief to be able to do formula. Last night, I wanted to go the gym and didn't have anything pumped so my husband just said "Go ahead. The formula's super easy to mix. We'll be fine."

Why didn't I do this sooner?

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Funny, I've just done this as well. After E's surgery, my supply went down and we've been supplementing a little. It certainly is convenient!

Tara said...

That's funny. It's true though; I had problems with milk supply and thought it was a curse that I had to use formula, but after a while I realized what a blessing it was because I could leave the baby and not worry if she would starve!