Monday, July 18, 2011

Have You Seen This? Dr. Zoe D. Katze

When online universities started becoming really popular, it worried me for precisely this reason. Now we have to worry about Diploma Mills.

Make sure you know the credentials for those you see- especially for health care. Are they from an accredited program? Do your research as the client/patient.

I'm really sensitive to this. I worked my butt off to get accepted and finish a master's program and am working just as hard on my PhD. The MFT program at BYU is accredited by the AAMFT commission (COAMFTE). We are a very well-known program and one of the best in the nation. I've heard a lot of people say we are Number 1, but I don't really know how it's measured. I was required to provide at least 500 hours of face-to-face (i.e. in the same room) therapy- where I was the therapist- to graduate from my Master's and at least 251 of those had to be relational (couple, family, parent-child). I also completed the 60 credits of required coursework. I'm also a Licensed Associate Marriage and Family Therapist in Utah (requirements vary by state).

It bugs me that some people trick the public into thinking they are worthy of their career. I have some hard feelings against people like Dr Phil and John Gray (Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus) who either tell people what they want to hear or just create drama for entertainment sake (okay, I've maybe only watched one episode of Dr. Phil).

*Gray received his Ph.D. from the unaccredited institution after completing a correspondence course.
*Dr. Phil did get a PhD in clinical psych in 1976, but his license to practice lapsed. He's said to some that his show does not involve actual psychology or counseling, but I'm not sure if that's what viewers think or know. 

Article from here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=957&sid=14220824

Dr. Zoe D. Katze
By John Clyde
SALT LAKE CITY - All of us deal with individual problems that have to do with our well-being and mental health. Someone who can help you through these problems is a credentialed psychotherapist… Actually, that depends.
World meet Dr. Zoe D. Katze. She's board certified, surprisingly short and has an unfortunate back hair problem… That's because she's a cat. Yes you read that correctly. The feline Zoe Katze is a Ph.D., C.Ht., and a DAPA and she has the paperwork to prove it. 
Dr. Katze's diploma from the American Psychotherapy Association
Zoe's owner, Dr. Steve Eichel is a real Ph.D. and was fed up with people claiming to be accomplished psychotherapists by getting credentials through schools known as "diploma mills." So, Dr. Eichel decided it was time for his lazy cat to do something with her life.
Eichel bought certifications from the National Guild of Hypnotists, the American Board of Hypnotherapy and the American Association of Professional Hypnotherapists. He then sent those credentials into the American Psychotherapy Association (APA), which Eichel is a member. The APA then asked for a resume from Dr. Katze. 
Eichel sent in a resume showing Katze had worked at the Tacayllaermi Friends School in Delaware. Let's take a look at that backwards… imreallyacat. 
After working at such a prestigious school the APA awarded Katze a diploma stating that she had met "rigid requirements." 
So I say to you Dr. Katze, congratulations. It's not easy becoming a doctor. I started college with hopes to become a dentist. I stepped into my first day of college biology, walked right back out and headed straight to my counselor's office and changed my major… communications. I reached for the stars, but settled for a small hill. 
But now this tiny, four-legged, doctor has inspired me. Now that I know all I have to do is buy a few credentials and work at Tsilanruojayllaermi School for the Gifted and Talented of Greater Salt Lake to become a certified doctor this will be my last entry on ksl.com. I'm going to call my wife right now to let her know in a few short days she's going to be married to a doctor. Thank you Dr. Katze, you have truly inspired me and therefore done your job. 
So here's to you kind of smelly, constantly licking yourself and hacking up hairballs in the middle of hypno-sessions, medical professional. Keep inspiring others to become something they are nowhere near qualified to be.

No comments: